About NYU Tel Aviv
NYU Tel Aviv, an affiliate of New York University, aims to create a study abroad program of exceptional quality for its students, offering undergraduate students the opportunity to spend one semester or more living in Tel Aviv while studying for NYU accredited courses. The NYU Tel Aviv student body includes a diverse group students from all three degree-granting campuses (NYU New York, NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai).
The Resident Life Assistant (RLA) is an integral part of the NYU Tel Aviv (NYUTA) staff. The RLA assists in creating a healthy, safe, and thriving environment where students can gain experience, be involved and develop their interpersonal, academic and leadership potential. Called upon to respond to changing needs and situations, the RLA position is one that requires flexibility, adaptability, enthusiasm, and commitment, as well as strong administrative and peer counselling skills, including duty and crisis management. The RLA should expect to work non-traditional working hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional holidays. The RLA is required to reside in a single room at the NYUTA Residence Hall located at Bnei Dan street in Tel Aviv and reports directly to the Manager of Student Life and Housing (MSLH).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Events and community development
· Encourage a cross-cultural living and learning environment that promotes student academic growth, personal responsibility and a strong sense of community through activities such as weekly meetings, student events, individual student check-ins and more
· Conduct student information sessions, including the presentation of safety and alcohol guidelines, fire safety awareness, information on diversity, community respect and more
· Take a leadership role in the creation, planning and implementation of cultural events and activities held at either the residence or at the Academic Center throughout the year
· Provide guidance for the appointed Student Ambassador, student movie night and other social events
· Help to provide student immersion into the local community through volunteering events, collaboration with local student groups, creating connections between students and local opportunities
· Chaperone and lead students during NYUTA outings such as walking tours, performances, day trips, and/or weekend excursions (occasionally excursions are overnight and/or international)
· Participate in mediation procedures during roommate and student community conflicts
· Assume pastoral responsibilities, such as checking in with students on an individual basis who are not mixing or who may be dealing with issues of homesickness, etc.
· Ensure that the residents’ living situation is a suitable environment with regards to cleanliness of communal areas (hallways, kitchen, stairwells, garden, lounges)
· Take a lead role in checking in and out students at the beginning and end of each semester
· Participate in all orientation activities and events during the first weeks of student arrival each semester, including airport pick-up
· Maintain, complete and submit detailed reports to the MSLH of housing problems, maintenance issues and resident concerns
· Report all cases of students having difficulties or experiencing distress to the MSLH and the NYUTA Wellness Counselor
· Assist with the facilitation of fire and other evacuation and safety drills each semester
· Assist in the preparation of the dormitories and the Academic Center for opening and transitions between academic terms
· Administrative duties, including use of Microsoft MS Office, filing, photocopying, answering inquiries via phone, email and in person regarding all aspects of NYUTA
· Day-to-day administrative tasks such as tracking student maintenance requests, monitoring independent student travel, and more
· Participate in weekly staff meetings to exchange ideas regarding student programming, the RLAs’ role, residence concerns and student concerns
· Participate in regular one-on-one meetings with the MSLH
· Hold weekly regular office hours in the NYUTA Academic Center, to be determined and approved by the MSLH
· Participate in regular meetings and touchpoints with the NYUTA Wellness Professional
· Provide tours of housing for prospective students, families, and visitors to NYU Tel Aviv
Emergency coverage and policy enforcement
· Understand, communicate, enforce, and abide by existing NYU Tel Aviv policies and procedures
· Be familiar with all University and community resources and make appropriate referrals
· Assist the MSLH with the student judicial process and submit written reports to document cases
· Know all emergency contacts NYUTA, NYU in NY, ambulance, hospital, police, other site staff; be familiar with all emergency procedures such as the NYUTA fire safety evacuation plan
· Monitor and ensure adherence to housing policies; solve problems as needed
· Provide on-duty emergency and weekend/holiday coverage, shared with the other RLA and NYU Tel Aviv. During on-duty period RLA is expected to be available at all times by emergency mobile phone and within 30 minutes travel time of the Residence Halls at all times
· Other duties as assigned by MSLH or Site Director
Essential Skills and Experience:
· Must currently be a university student studying for an undergraduate or graduate degree in Israel
· 1-2 years prior experience working in an international setting with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds (preferably with students)
· Experience leading and organizing group activities and events
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Excellent English and Hebrew reading, writing and speaking skills required; knowledge of Arabic a plus
· Knows Tel Aviv well; enthusiastic about the city and keen to share this knowledge with others
· Ability to be flexible with working hours; weekends, evenings, holidays etc.
· Must have legal right to work and reside in Israel
· The RLA is required to reside in a single room at the NYUTA Residence Hall located at Bnei Dan street in Tel Aviv.
Please visit https://global-nyu.icims.com/jobs/7098/resident-life-assistant---tel-aviv/job?mode=view&mobile=false&width=690&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240 to submit your application.